Are you experiencing common hair issues like dandruff, damaged hair, or brittle hair? Is dry hair, dull hair, frizzy hair, or hair loss giving you fits? If so, a homemade hair mask – especially a yogurt hair mask – can be a great way to support the health of your hair and scalp.
Using yogurt on your hair is a fantastic DIY hair trick you can try at home using common ingredients like yogurt, honey, avocado, lemon juice, or coconut oil.
Let’s look at how a yogur-based hair mask could help dry damaged hair.
What Can A Yogurt Hair Mask Do For Your Hair?
The natural ingredients in a deep conditioning hair mask are often rich in heavily concentrated lipids and oils.
A specialized store-bought conditioner can contain ingredients for deep conditioning hair. However, you can hydrate your hair on an even deeper level by using a moisturizing hair mask as well. A deep conditioning hair mask can help restore the hair by adding protein and moisture to hair strands.You can make your own deep conditioning hair mask at home with household ingredients.1
Can The Vitamins In Natural Yogurt Support Hair Growth?
The vitamins and fatty acids found in natural yogurt make a wonderful addition to your hair care routine. Here are some ways the vitamins in natural yogurt may help support your natural hair growth cycle:
- Supports the health of your scalp
- Provides moisture to your scalp
- Supports healthy hair follicles
- Supports healthy scalp pH levels
- Provides moisture to hair strands2
If you are noticing excessive hair loss, speak to your doctor. They will need to assess the cause of your hair fall and may recommend a specially-formulated hair loss solution.
Can Natural Yogurt Give Your Hair A Healthy Shine
Natural yogurt can act as a powerful natural conditioner. Try combining plain yogurt with ingredients like lemon juice, avocado, honey, melted coconut oil, and egg yolk to give your hair a lustrous shine.3
Can A Yogurt Hair Mask Repair Dry Or Damaged Hair?
Natural yogurt can have beneficial effects on hair follicles and hair strands.
Yogurt’s many vitamins can help support a hydrated scalp, and strong healthy hair. When you rinse or wash your hair after a yogurt hair mask, the natural yogurt can assist in wiping any dead skin cells away. It can be an excellent way to manage dry, damaged hair.4
Add Ingredients For Your Own DIY Yogurt Hair Mask: Coconut Oil, Honey, And More
There are many different DIY hair mask concoctions you can make at home. Let’s focus on a few homemade hair mask creations using natural yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Hair Mask
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil with 4 tablespoons of greek yogurt; stir until creamy.
- Apply to dampened hair.
- Let sit for half an hour while covered with a shower cap.
- Rinse, then use shampoo and conditioner per usual.5
Coconut Milk And Yogurt Hair Mask
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut milk with 3 tablespoons of natural yogurt.
- Rub into your hair and scalp for 5 minutes.
- Let the mixture sit for 40 minutes while covered with a shower cap.
- Rinse the hair mask out of your hair with lukewarm water.
- Shampoo your hair as you normally would.6
Mint Leaves And Yogurt Hair Mask
- Blend curry leaves into a gooey paste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of curry leaves paste to 3 tablespoons of yogurt; mix.
- Massage the hair mask into your hair and scalp, covering your entire hair.
- Cover hair with a shower cap.
- After 30 minutes, rinse off the mask with shampoo.7
Fenugreek Seeds And Yogurt Hair Mask
- Using a grinder or blender, grind fenugreek seeds into a powder (or like for ground fenugreek in the spice section of your grocery store).
- Add 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt and 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds powder to a bowl.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, argan oil, or olive oil.
- Add a lid to the bowl, and let it sit in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Apply the hair mask to your hair and scalp; massage into scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap, then cover shower cap with a towel, and leave on for one hour.
- Wash your hair and rinse with shampoo; conditioner may be unnecessary. Let dry.8
The Mane Takeaway
A yogurt hair mask is a simple and effective DIY hair trick you can try at home using common ingredients. In addition to the recipes above, there are many other ingredients you can substitute into your DIY hair mask. Consider swapping coconut milk for ripe avocado, or lemon juice for argan oil.
At any rate, natural yogurt may be a great solution for your hair woes. You can talk to your hair care specialist for even more pointers and ideas.
Aloe Vera Juice Benefits for Hair, Scalp, and Skin
Egg White Hair Mask With Lemon For Dry Hair And Scalp
Banana, Egg, Olive Oil & Honey Hair Mask For Dry, Damaged Hair