Remember the old rhyme: Crack an egg on your head. Let the yolk drip down. Let the yolk drip down? When you were a kid, you were just trying to give your friend goosebumps with that rhyme. Little did you know you were onto something.
Egg white hair masks and egg yolks could be just the thing your hair needs. This is especially true if you’re dealing with dry hair, dry scalp, or frizzy hair. And making your own at-home hair masks for damaged hair is easier than you think.
Try variations of this amazing egg white hair mask to help promote healthy hair. This mask can also double as an egg white face mask.
DIY Lemon And Egg White Mask For Hair And Scalp Health
Certain shampoos and conditioners can only get you so far. Nature can be your answer when it comes to…
- Supporting strong, healthy hair
- Supporting your hairs natural growth cycle
- Bringing moisture to brittle hair
DIY hair care can be a blast whether you get creative with olive oil, argan oil, avocado, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or yogurt. Feel like whipping up a honey hair mask?
Ingredients from your fridge and pantry can offer some great hair benefits such as adding moisture and supporting the natural growth cycle. This is especially true when already using specially-formulated hair therapy products.
What Can Egg Whites Do For Your Hair?
Why are egg whites so good for your scalp and dry hair? Well, egg whites are the protein part of the egg. They’re complete proteins, and they happen to house each essential amino acid your body needs. It’s no secret protein is necessary to keep the tissues in your body healthy. And that includes your hair.
Your hair shafts are made up of three layers. The first is a soft, inner layer. The center layer of the hair shaft gives your hair color and texture. The outer layer is the protective layer. Egg white can sneak into those second and third layers to support your hair health.
Make sure you’re getting enough dietary protein. You’ll be ensuring healthier hair and stronger tissues. This could mean fewer split ends and hair breakage. It could also support healthy hair growth and shine.1
What Happens If Your Hair Doesn’t Get Enough Protein?
A recent study proved women who don’t get enough protein might actually experience…
- Hair thinning
- Hair loss
Furthermore, the following processes can zap your hair of necessary protein:
- Chemical treatments such as bleaching or perms
- Styling techniques that utilize heat
- Environmental damage and oxidation2
Cutting back on the heat from styling tools and highlights may help bring your hair back to life. However, If you are noticing significant hair loss and fragility consult with your doctor. They may be able to provide recommendations such as a carefully formulated hair thickening product.
Lemon Benefits For Your Hair
Mmmm, lemon. When you picture it, don’t you just see summer and sun-kissed, wind-blown hair? Lemon can do a lot for oily hair. You want to make sure you apply lemon topically to your hair — in its liquid form. Lemon might reduce oil, and ward off dandruff. It’s important to know that lemon can also lighten your hair.
Hair shaft swelling is something that can occur after using most detergents.
But, the citric acid found in lemons may help restore proper pH levels.
Furthermore, citric acid is said to help support your hair follicles and hair shaft.3
Also, the vitamin C in lemon is a powerful antioxidant.4 This is good news for your hair follicles which can be damaged by free radicals. So, harness the powerful vitamins in lemon.
Add The Egg Yolk For Dry, Frizzy, And Damaged Hair
As you prepare to make your egg white hair mask, don’t toss the yolk. Egg yolk can also support healthy hair. How? Well, the egg yolk is rich in vitamins and could help moisturize damaged and dry hair.
Also, the following “healthy hair” vitamins are found in the egg yolk:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
Your Recipe For Egg White Hair Pack With Lemon
Grab your eggs and get crackin’.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
What To Do:
1. Both your eggs and your lemon should be fresh. Cut the lemon in half, and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup.
2. Take three tablespoons of lemon juice and one separated egg white and combine in a bowl. Mix quickly, as if you’re scrambling the egg, for several minutes. Let the mix get frothy, and make sure the lemon juice and egg whites are fully integrated. (You can even add a drop of almond oil to sweeten the aroma).
3. Apply your egg white and lemon hair mask. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes.
4. Rinse well with lukewarm water.
Other Ingredients For Brittle Hair Strands: Coconut Oil, Avocado, And More
The following ingredients can be added to your mask for added benefits.
- Coconut Oil — Coconut oil is another star ingredient for hair health. It’s said that coconut oil can penetrate the hair shaft for deep moisture. Plus, coconut oil has beneficial antioxidant and antibacterial properties.6
- Aloe Vera Gel — For an overnight hair pack, replace egg white with aloe vera gel. Rinse in the morning after the aloe vera enzymes have had time to help moisturize the hair and scalp.7
- Cider Vinegar — Apple cider vinegar can be used as a hair wash. Try this a few nights after your egg mask. ACV may help support the health of your scalp and hair.8
- Olive Oil — Oils like olive oil can help protect your hair from environmental damage and penetrate your hair.9
- Avocado — Avocados are rich in those great, beneficial fatty amino acids. That’s why avocado is a great choice to coat your hair so it retains moisture.
- Baking Soda — Baking soda powder can be used as a wash. But only use it if your hair is super oily or if you feel you have greasy hair. Otherwise, you run the risk of drying out your hair.
- Fenugreek Seeds — Soak these seeds the night before you apply your mask. The next day, grind them up and add them to your mask to help condition your hair roots, strands, and follicles.
Fun For Your Hair Is Fun For You
So, go ahead. Grab those eggs, some lemon juice, or any beneficial DIY hair care ingredient. You’ll love how much healthier your hair will feel.
Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair Regrowth — Natural and Effective
The Best Home Remedies for a Dry, Itchy Scalp
Are Keratin Treatments Harmful or Helpful? What You Need To Know