Good health means caring for your body from your head to your toes. And your head and your toes might be more closely linked than you thought. Did you know that spending more time barefoot outside “earthing” might help you avoid hair loss?
Read on to see how earthing can improve your hair’s health!
What is Earthing?
The ground is charged with electrons that are thought to be beneficial to your health. Unfortunately, shoes, concrete, and floors all separate our bodies from the ground and its healthy electrons. Earthing is all about going barefoot outside, so you can get in direct contact with the earth.1
How Stress Affects Hair Health
Before we get into the benefits of going barefoot, let’s talk about why you need to de-stress. Stress is a common part of life, but too much stress may make you more likely to lose hair.
When you’re stressed out, your body makes a hormone called DHT. DHT can wreak havoc in your body, including making your hair fall out.
- Stress affects hair from the sweat glands and hair follicles, meaning you might lose hair, or the hair you have may not be healthy.2
- The more stressed you are, the worse your hair loss may be. In one study, women with high levels of stress were 12 times more likely to lose their hair than women with a normal level of stress.3
- In some rare cases, severe stress can trigger a condition called telogen effluvium, which causes hair to fall out.4
Are you finding more hairs in your brush than you’re comfortable with? Or is your hair’s appearance not what you want it to be? Stress may be the culprit. To help improve your hair’s health, you need to find a solid technique to relieve tension.
Going Barefoot to Reduce Stress
Now, there are many ways to unwind and let go of tension. Yoga, exercise, and meditation might be helpful. But these practices also take time, which may not fit your busy schedule. That’s where the earthing comes in. It can help you unwind in just 10 minutes a day!
- The ground is full of negatively-charged particles. When you make skin-to-earth contact, your body enjoys the benefits of exposure to those particles. Your mood might improve, your immune system might get a boost, and your body might be able to better resist harmful free radicals.5,6
- Earthing has all sorts of benefits, especially to your stress level. It may improve your sleep cycle, which makes you better able to handle stressful situations.7 Going barefoot for just one hour can dramatically improve your mood.8
- Just being outside has major health benefits. Being in green spaces with trees and plants can help you focus, cheer you up, and give you an energy boost. Going barefoot outdoors increases those positive impacts!9
The best thing about earthing is that it’s all natural. All you have to do is kick off your shoes and take a walk outside!
5 Ways to Start Earthing
What if you don’t live near a field of soft grass or a sandy beach? Can you still enjoy earthing? Here are some suggestions.
- If you need to go outside anyway – to walk your dog or check your mailbox – ditch your shoes in favor of a barefoot walk in the grass.
- Who doesn’t love watching colorful birds or listening to their songs? Pick up a birdwatching manual and spend some time barefoot in your backyard. See how many different species you can spot!
- Gardening isn’t just a great source of fresh fruits, vegetables, and flowers. It’s also a way to get outside. Walk through your garden and pull up weeds, or check on the progress of your ripening produce. Feel that garden soil between your toes.
- Instead of eating in front of your TV or your computer, pack yourself a picnic and lie in the grass while you enjoy a quick lunch or dinner.
- The challenge doesn’t have to happen during the day. Crank up the fire pit and invite friends and family over for an evening barefoot get-together. Just be careful about where you step in the dark!10
Make relaxation a priority. Don’t let stress affect your hair. Try to spend at least 10 minutes each day barefoot outside. You’ll find out for yourself just how beneficial the earthing challenge can be!
De-stress With a Barefoot Walk Outside
So many beauty and hair tips are about what you do inside: how to wash and style, or what products to buy. The earthing challenge gives you a chance to get outside and connect with the earth. Once you do, you’ll see all the ways that going barefoot can help you get a fresher, healthier look.
FACT: What You Eat Impacts Your Hair Growth
Tea Tree Oil: Your Hair’s New Best Friend